Monday, February 9, 2009

aloha

I am off to the beautiful island of Kauai for a week...but I will be back after President's Day to report on the beginning of fashion week!

Here is a peak into my suitcase at my picks for tropical island travel essentials...


  • cut-offs in super short and bermuda lengths. I usually buy cut-offs at a Juniors apparel store instead of trimming a pair of my own jeans because the tightness in the thighs on regular length jeans is not ideal for comfy shorts. Denim Bermuda from American Eagle Outfitters, Tracy from Abercrombie & Fitch.
  • bikini with removable straps. I like the option of strapless to avoid undesirable tanlines. Victoria's Secret has a huge variety of swimsuits at extremely affordable prices online. Checkered trim bandeau from VS.
  • plastic frame sunglasses. I love these Ray-Ban Wayfarers in bright hues, but for beach trips I buy the cheap imitation styles so I don't worry too much about scratching them up or losing them in the ocean.
  • cotton bag. I use a slouchy canvas bag as a combination purse and beach bag so I can move from the beach to an after-beach meal or shopping expedition without carrying too much around. Floral Canvas Tote from AEO.
  • Muji toiletry containers. Instead of buying over-priced airline sized toiletries or switching to different brands that are available in these sizes, I put all of my regular toiletry products into mini reusable Muji containers to bring with me. An assortment of containers are available at the Moma store.
  • casual cotton dress. I end up wearing the same versatile cotton dress over a bikini almost everyday. Again, the idea is to be able to straight from the beach to a restaurant or shopping trip without a trip home in-between. Front Detail Tube Dress by Splendid at BasicBasic.
  • rubber flip-flops. I am a big fan of the Brazilian havaianas, which come in a variety of styles and colors and withstand wear and tear. havaianas.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: