I haven't compiled my final list of my must-haves for Fall 2009, but I have already started keeping my eye out for a few styles. Here is my quick list for Fall 2009...final list to be published next month.
- long blazers - I think these will be an update on the 80's version with a slouchy feel, open front, and rolled-up sleeves. The blazers will be menswear-inspired, but will have a long skinny fit and tight shoulders. No shoulder pads please.
- gray - I love finding beauty in gray. I am interested in gray suede, gray boots, fluffy gray sweaters, gray leather, gray wool hats, gray distressed handbags.
- detailed booties - Take the idea of the open-toed rocker bootie and gladiator sandals into Fall and you get an intense heeled bootie with unique details.
- bowler hats - Think of it as this summer's cloche...cute and vintage-inspired.
- leather jackets - I think the rock 'n roll vibe will continue through the winter, so look for fitted leather jackets with unique designs.
- velvet - For some reason I just came up with this idea. I want to see the softness and romanticism of velvet explored in new ways. It should be used minimally.
- chunky jewelry - New and flashy accessories paired with basics will be a good way to create new outfits during a recession.
- vests - I loved layering them with tanks for summer, but I can see them adapting to Fall for thicker layering in materials like leather and fur (fake I hope!).
Images: Saks Fifth Avenue, Urban Outfitters, Piperlime, Intermix